Thursday, July 22, 2010

Alice In Wonderland

This week’s Netflix choice was Alice In Wonderland. I was kind of skeptical about seeing this movie because, even though I haven’t seen it, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory previews gave me the creeps, and of course it was another pairing of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. However, the duo of all things strange has delighted me before as well with movies such as Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. I actually almost forgot that Depp was even in the movie as he doesn’t appear for quite some time. The visuals and characters are fresh in this new take on the classic story. I loved Helena Bonham Carter’s bulbous headed Red Queen (or Queen of Hearts) and Anne Hathaway’s dainty White Queen. Perhaps that what I liked best about the movie was the casting of Mia Wasikowska as Alice and not some other big name star. She’s been a busy actress in the past several years but not overly exposed so, to me, this gave more appeal to the character. I was pleasantly surprised by Burton’s reimagining of a stale story.
  (3 out of 5 Hot Guys)





No comments: